On 10/25/2012 9:25 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 24 Oct 2012, at 19:31, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

I dont believe that such genuine anticipation is possible, for a simple reason: If for quantum or relativistic means the mind or the brain could genuinely anticipate anything, this would be such a huge advantage, that this hability would be inherited genetically by everyone of us, every human plant, animal with the most accurate precission. because it would be so critical.

The fact is the we have no such hability. the most we can do is to simulate it with the available data, gatering as much as possible information from the behaviour, faces etc of other human beings and we process it unconsciously. Most of the time even we are not conscious of how much information we gather.

I think we anticipate all the time. At every second. When we drive a car, we anticipate the movement and correct it accordingly. There are many picture of object lacking a crucial elements which when shown rapidly to subject makes the subject swearing having seen the lacking elements. When shown more slowly after, the subject is usually astonished to see they were lacking. A part of that anticipation is part of Hobson theory of dream, where the cerebral stem might sent to the cortex quasi random information, and the dreams is the result of the cortex anticipating sense from that crude information. A building of an hypothesis/theory and its momentary admission is also a form of anticipation. Everyone anticipate that tomorrow the sun will rise. If you decide to open your fridge you anticipate the vague shape of what you can see in your fridge. It is far more efficient than analyse the data like if they were new. I don't think there is anything controversial here. Helmholtz theory is usually accepted as a base in pattern recognition, and basic perception. It is rather well tested. More provocative perhaps: I personally would not been so much astonished that evolution itself does make variate sort of anticipation. I would not find this utterly shocking, as genetic algorithm can isolate anticipative programs, like brains are. It would just means that some brain-like mechanism has already appear at the level of the genome, but on a scale which makes it hard to be detected for us. I am not sure at all about this, but I see nothing really "magical" if such thing was detected.

Bruno

Dear Bruno and Alberto,

I agree some what with both of you. As to the idea of a "genetic algorithm can isolate anticipative programs", I think that anticipation is the analogue of inertia for computations, as Mach saw inertia. It is a relation between any one and the class of computations that it belongs to such that any incomplete string has a completion in the collections of others like it. This is like an error correction or compression mechanism.

--
Onward!

Stephen