On 02 Nov 2012, at 16:07, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> let's presume that in 999 out of 1,000 almost identical standard models that exist in string theory, the half-life is 1 us. But in 1 out of those 1,000, the half life is 10 us. If you are the experimenter what can physics tell you about the particle's half life?

That it's half life is really 1.01 not 1.

> Until the experiment is performed, even the laws of physics are not in stone.

And in Bruno's thought experiment until the subjects open the door of the duplicating machine and observe the different environments of Washington and Moscow and thus are changed differently there is still only one consciousness regardless of how many bodies there are.

> This is a main point of Bruno's result:

Bruno's main point is that we should be amazed and draw deep philosophical conclusions from the fact that the Washington man is the man who saw Washington, and be flabbergasted by the fact that he didn't become the Moscow man because he didn't see Moscow. I'm sorry but I just don't see any grand mystery here.

Nobody talk on being amazed, or on deep mystery. The thought experience is used just to illustrates the notion of 1P indeterminacy, and this is used to get a result. No mystery, no paradox. Just a logical consequence.

Bruno

> physics is not at the bottom of the explanatory ladder

Physics is at the bottom of all non-mathematical things that have an explanation, but we now know that some things have no explanation. We now know that some things are random.

  John K Clark