On 11/3/2012 8:21 PM, meekerdb wrote:
Horsefeathers <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/horsefeathers>! How is the truth of an arithmetic statement separable from any claim of that truth? What is the possible value of a statement that we can make no claims about?

You are causing confusion by asking how the truth of a statement is separable from any claim of that truth. But claims and statements are the same thing - so of course they are not seperable. Bruno is saying that the claim/statement is NOT the same as the fact that makes it true. "1+1=2" is a claim; it's the claim that 1+1=2. And that's a true claim; it's true that 1+1=2 whether you claim it or not.

It is not about me or any other single individual, it is about the mutual agreement on the claim by many individuals, any one of which is irrelevant to the truth of a claim.

--
Onward!

Stephen