On 12/16/2012 3:29 AM, meekerdb wrote:
On 12/15/2012 9:43 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 12/15/2012 5:51 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
If you have a group of people getting rich while other people are in bondage to them and stay poor, that presents a problem for social mobility - which is being realized now as the US has fallen beneath several other countries in social mobility.

Hi,

OK, we need a theory of social mobility that makes accurate predictions. Got one? Could we say that the fact that the US has fallen in its measure of social mobility tell us something about the failure of some current policies or combination as having some causal effect of that fall in ranking?

Sure. Two obvious ones. Reducing income and estate taxes and making students pay more for higher education. When economic mobility was greatest the top marginal tax rate was 90% and the G.I. bill was sending people through college.

Hi Brent,

OK, let us implement an experiment where we set up conditions that are equivalent to "the top marginal tax rate was 90% and the G.I. bill was sending people through college" and see what happens. It seems to me that you are assuming that these two factors alone where the cause of the greater social mobility. I would like to see some proof of that claim.

--
Onward!

Stephen