From: Telmo Menezes
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-17, 09:12:39
Subject: Re: Men don't get no respect these days

Hi Roger,

Lakoff is correct about conservatism and the father.
It is not a pathology, however, to?espect your ?arents,

Agreed.
?
and respect is a mixture of love and fear.

For me respect is a mixture of love and admiration, which are things that have
to be earned. I loved and admired my father. I never feared him. To fear him I
would have to believe that he was willing to harm me, and that would probably
interfere with the love/admiration part.

My mother is a catholic and my father was agnostic. He agreed to put me through
religious school and remain neutral on the entire thing. Up to one day when I
was a little kid and couldn't sleep because I was afraid of going to hell. He
told me: "don't worry, that god they are telling you about doesn't exist". It
was the biggest relief in my life.

Religion tried to instill fear into me, when I was a little kid and
psychologically vulnerable. My father taught me how to be a decent human being,
no strings attached. Guess who I still love these days?
?
That's one of the ten commandments.
?
And if people feared God more, incidents like the
mass murders in CT would be much fewer. God
should be returned to the classroom. It doesn't have to be
the Christian God.

Let's not even discuss the mountain of atrocities that were committed in God's
name. A recent one: 9/11.

The USA (a country I greatly admire for its many achievements, including its
constitution) is currently the least secular country in the western world. Yet
it's the only place where this stuff is happening. How come?

Here in godless Europe we have the lowest levels of church attendance ever,
legalised prostitution, gay marriage, decriminalised drugs and it's ok to show
female breasts on TV. Yet none of that stuff is happening here. The only
similar event we had was?erpetrated?y a god fearing hard-core conservative.
?
?
The Women's Movement has unfortunately killed
the father in their understable desire for wage equality etc.

I had a great father. Many of my childhood friends did too, and then became
fathers themselves, and they seem to be doing well. What do you mean exactly?
?
I challenge you to find one ad on TV or radio that
does not feature a man as other than a fool.
?
?
And the death of the father has turned progressives into
anarchists. The death of the father is the deathy of morality.
It's the main problem with society today.

By objective metrics measuring violence, society nowadays is the best it ever
was. The likelihood of you being the victim of a violent crime is the lowest
ever. Mainstream media blows things out of proportion, that's all.

Best,
Telmo.
?
?