On 30 Jan 2013, at 09:40, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/29/2013 7:38 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 27 Jan 2013, at 19:53, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

Bruno,
You sill say interesting things even in a thread that has fallen deep in the boring hole of Reductio at Hitlerum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

Well ... Thanks :)

Actually, it happens that I appreciate rather well Leo Strauss (who coined "Reductio ad Hitlerum").

A man who believed freedom is incompatible with excellence.

Ah?
Well i believe plausibly the contrary: freedom is needed for excellence to appear. Perhaps *some* excellence can have a negative feedback on freedom, but then, is it still excellence for me?

 That the noble lie is justified to lead the hoi polloi.

In theory I disagree with this, but in practice, I am less sure. Let us say that I certainly would encourage a change of mentality making this eventually absurd, but the (sad) truth is that most people still want the noble lies. Those who defends the more reason are not those who practice it the more.

Hmm... A lie is never noble, but some lies can help locally with respect to some suffering. It is not easy, especially with children and old people.