On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>wrote:

>  On 2/2/2013 6:19 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>wrote:
>
>>  On 1/27/2013 6:54 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Stephen P. King
>> <stephe...@charter.net>wrote:
>>
>>>  On 1/27/2013 6:07 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Bruno and Stephen,

>>>  Couldn't the Big Bang just be the simplest possible state?
>>>

>>> Hi Telmo,
>>>
>>>     Yes, if I can add "...that a collection of observers can agree upon"
>>> but that this simplest possible state is uniquely in the past for all
>>> observers (that can communicate with each other) should not be just
>>> postulated to be the case. It demands an explanation.
>>>

>>  It's uniquely in the past for all complex observers
>>
>>  Hi Telmo,
>>
>>    I would partition up "all possible observers" into mutually
>> communicating sets. Not all observers can communicate with each other and
>> it is mutual communication that, I believe, contains the complexity of
>> one's universe.
>>

>  That makes sense to me.

Hi Stephen,

>     Can you see that this requirement even works if there are an infinite
> number of 'observers'?

Sure.

>>  Basically my reasoning follows Wheeler's *It from Bit* idea.
>>

>>    because:
>>
>>  - It cannot contain a complex observer
>>

>>      How do we know this? We are, after all, speculating about what we
>> can only infer about given what we observe now.
>>

>  Isn't it just a tautology? I don't know how to justify it any further.
> It's like saying that an empty glass does not contain water.
>

>     Yes, it is a bit tautological but non-negligible because it sets up
> the contra-factual basis for what is. That *is* is the complement of what
> *is not*. Since the number of things that 'didn't happen' is, generally
> infinite, we can see how events are somehow sieved or selected from many.
> This leads to the idea that an observation is a selective action, a map
> from many to one.

Ok I see what you mean. I feel that the content of our memories is a
fundamental part of our 1p, and have difficulty imagining how a 1p close to
the bing bang would be like. But it ends up being a similar difficulty to
imagining how it feel to be a bacteria.

> Classical physics seems to claim that only one event follows from a
> previous single event, but this kind of reasoning fails when we try to make
> sense of QM. I am working out a logical strategy...

Cool.

>>   - It is so simple that it is coherent with any history
>>

>>       Simplicity alone does not induce consistency, AFAIK...
>>

>  I'm thinking in the following terms: imagine a CA which has an initial
> state where a single cell is on. For any super-complex state that you find
> down the line, the initial simple step is always a consistent predecessor.
>

>     I generally do not like CA models as they presuppose a fixed set of
> possible outcomes or rule - which then requires an explanation as to how
> that rule is selected, and it assumes an absolute time or, equivalently,
> global synchrony of the transition events.

One idea I have (not sure if original) is an hyper-CA, where the outcome of
a rule can be 0, 1 or a superposition of 0 and 1, in which case the
universe is split.

> I start with a pair of physical events and their duals (propositional
> algebras) and work out the mappings between them as Vaughan Pratt describes
> in his *Rational Mechanics and Natural Mathematics* paper. One can then
> set up chains of such and more complex lattices to obtain space-time toy
> models.

Cool, I'll have a look at the paper.

>>   That doesn't mean it's the beginning, just that it's a likely
>> predecessor to any other state.
>>

>>     > The word "predecessor' worries me, it assumes some way to determine
>> causality even when measurements are impossible. Sure, we can just
>> stipulate monotonicity of states, but what
>>

>>   > would be the gain?
>>
>>  I mean predecessor in the sense that there are plausible sequences of
>> transformations that it's at the root of. These transformations include
>> world branching, of course.
>>

>>      I am playing around with the possibility that monotonicity should
>> not be assumed. After all, observables in QM are complex valued and the
>> real numbers that QM predicts (as probabilities of outcomes) only obtain
>> when a basis is chosen and a squaring operation is performed. Basically,
>> that *is* is not something that has any particular ordering to it. Here I
>> am going against the arguments of many people, including Julian Barbour.
>>

>  Ok, this also makes sense to me. But can you accept that there is
> quantifiable similarity between states?
>

>     Sure, there must be to have any thing like continuity and transitions
> of event to event and state to state. My point is that we should never
> assume a measure of similarity that cannot be physically implemented. It
> one's idea of a measure requires an infinite task to be performed, one
> should have a pretty good reason why it is being promoted! If it is
> impossible to measure some quantity, then it cannot be taken to be
> knowable. We can cheat a bit and use equivalence classes and so form to
> reason abstractly about things, but all of the results are mere concepts
> and should not be promoted to being 'real' in the same sense that a
> physical object is 'real'.

But the similarity metric would just be a high level statistical
measurement, like entropy. Entropy is equally not real in the sense that a
physical object is real, it's just a way to make sense of things.

>    In this case we can still build a state graph from which we can
> extract timelines without requiring ordering.
>

>     Sure, but there must be some relation between events that is
> equivalent to a greater than or equal to (or less than of equal to, of the
> logical equivalent such as A implies B, or A necessitates B, ...) for the
> state graph to be relatable to timelines unambiguously.

Ok, some form of causality would still be implied.

>>>   The more complex a state is, the smaller the number of states that it
>>> is likely to be a predecessor of.
>>>

>>>     Sure, what measure of complexity do you like? There are many and if
>>> we allow physical laws to vary, infinitely so... I like the Blum and
>>> Kolmogorov measures, but they are still weak...
>>>

>>  I had Kolmogorv in mind and it's the best I can offer. I agree, it's
>> still week and that's a bummer.
>>

>>      Maybe we should drop the desiderata of a measure and focus on the
>> locality of observers and its requirements.
>>

>  I don't think I understand what you mean here.
>

>     Why start off with statistics? Why not start of with a simple relation
> between a pair of objects and then work out a combinatorial model. We can
> work out the statistics after we have figured out a model of the system.

Ok, that's an interesting proposition.