On 2/6/13, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:19:01 AM UTC-5, Simon Forman wrote:

>>> That's what I think too, geometry without space isn't geometry, so that
>>> there is no reason to assume that mathematics produces geometric
>>> presentations, or that it could possibly produce them. If we want
>>> mathematics to occupy space, we have to pull that possibility out of thin
>>>
>>> air, as well as the capacity for numbers to suddenly do that (and why
>>> would
>>> they need to?)
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> Doesn't the quantum physical reality of information mean that all math
>> *is* geometry?
>>
>> Put another way, math without a substratum would be in some platonic
>> world, and not the real one, so aren't you basically asking if there's
>> some
>> way to do math without form?
>>

> Even if math requires form, it still only requires a binary-digital form,
> not geometric presentations.

A binary-digital form would perforce have some geometric properties,
otherwise how could it be apprehended?

> I'm not asking if there's a way of doing math
> without form, I am asserting that form does not follow from math, and would
> be useless, redundant, and probably impossible for math to generate if we
> assume math in a Platonic world.

Huh, I don't know if I can "see" that. Since accepting (tentatively)
that quantum physics indicates that "information" cannot exist without
some physical basis, I've been forced to conclude that all math can
only be geometry, or form, and amounts to some mind noticing that this
bit of form over here maps-with-precise-analogy to that bit of form
over there.

O_o

>> Forgive me if I'm being an idoit. ;)
>>

> Not at all, I thought it was a good question.

Cheers, :)
~Simon