On 2/21/2013 2:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I'd say it's the other way around, scientists have no beliefs, only hypotheses.

I define "belief" by "hypothesis" or "derived from hypotheses". That's why in the ideally correct case, belief = provable. This works because provable does not entail truth.

I'm not sure what you meant by that last sentence. Of course some things are provable but not true because, even though the proofs are valid, one or more of the axioms are false. But that doesn't make "belief=provable" ideal; the ideal is "belief=true".