There is a guy in India - don't ask me for the chapter and verse because I
can't be bothered looking it up - who is in his late 70s. He claims that his
last meal was 65 years ago. No one has ever seen him eat. He survives on
sunlight, food and water - according to him. When asked why this is, or how he
is able to survive in this way he merely says "I live as do the plants." OK -
he's maybe a "fakir" or maybe he's a "faker" but I mention this to challenge
your assertion that the intake of certain substances is privileged because of a
claim of a necessary relationship we have with them.

You say you are addicted to the "Green Bitch" but I still hold that it is your
choice to be so. I have been inhaling the stuff fairly regularly for at least
the past 35 years. All the current studies indicate that cannabis is about as
addictive as coffee. A woman in New Zealand recently died because she consumed
on average half a swimming-pool of Coca Cola every day. You may argue that her
"addiction" to Coke is what killed her, but I would say it was the lack of
diversity in her diet that killed her. You cannot "suicide" by smoking too much
cannabis. Even if you got a wheelbarrow full of the finest heads and proceeded
to smoke all of it, you would eventually die - not from the THC intake, but
through asphyxiation from inhaling such a ridiculous amount of smoke.

I advocate intelligent and moderate use. My rule of thumb is - I buy a quarter
of an ounce which I usually cannot afford anyway, so I treasure it. I am able
to make that last for approximately 10 to twelve days. I then don't smoke for
twice that amount of time - a fortnight or more. This is important because, the
more you smoke Mary Jane, the less she works for you because the body builds up
a tolerance for her. You surely have noticed this effect? To continue your
intake of a substance after that substance has stopped working is the height of
ignorance or stupidity.

Intelligent and moderate use of a substance always invokes the need for a
FORMAL and RITUALISED behaviour which becomes a life rhythm, a regime that
supports your best side. When you use, your mind accepts the THC and you gain
the marvellous insights and creative ideas that are the hallmark of cannabis
and its effect on the mind. You also arm your body against cancer. One thing
you and I will certainly NOT die of Quentin (and Bruno) is cancer. You must see
this period of time as a privilege, a gift or a learning experience. You then
leave the ecological classroom for a time and you take the wisdom and insights
you developed under the influence back into the baseline normative state of
consciousness that we must adhere to to live in a world where we have to do
things like drive cars and operate dangerous heavy machinery for which a
cannabis delirium would spell danger or death.

I did not call this thread "The Plant Teachers" for nothing.

The other thing is marijuana's effect on the memory. Often you smoke, you have
powerful insights and ideas, but you forget them as your mind races ahead to
its next perception.I have trained myself over the years to have a notepad and
pen with me whenever stoned so I do not lose track of the pearls of wisdom as
they come through. Cannbis is not a lifestyle; it is a TOOL. You must be clear
to yourself WHY you are using it when you are using it and not just giving into
a bad habit. But the ability to do that is a function of education - it
requires restraint and the ability to see the value of living in these two
parallel universes and skipping between the two. There is a necessary period of
transition from one to the other. By now I can say that the experience of being
straight is a wonderful experience because I know that it won't last forever
because at a certain point I will allow myself to enter my "Second Life" and
will become an avatar in another world. Both universes are on an equal footing.
Being straight is not better than being stoned and being stoned is not better
than being straight. There is symmetry in the experience of moving between
different instantiations of the self.

In the future, it will be the job of education to instruct people how to use
their drugs responsibly and to gain value from their use. I mean this quite
seriously. In a way, education should be doing this now. Teachers and students
should go on trips together and notes should be compared and then a period of
abstinence should be enforced to ensure that the subject gets the hang of the
symmetry of which I speak. Smoking marijuana every day is not only a waste of
money - it's a waste of marijuana, which is even worse.

Kim Jones