On 3/7/2013 3:05 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:55:02 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 3/7/2013 2:49 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

        To act on itself, as far as I can understand it, would mean to be
uncaused or
        truly random, which is indeed incompatible with determinism. But why
should
        that have anything to do with "intentionality"?

    What is intention if not acting on, or better 'through' yourself?

    We use the word "intention" as distinct from acting.

No, it's an adjective also. We can act intentionally or unintentionally. The difference is a key concept in all justice systems in history.

Yes, and in court evidence of a plan is evidence of intention. If you picked you a knife in the kitchen and stabbed some one you could argue it was an accident or an impulse. If you brought the knife with you, the prosecution would point out it was evidence of intention.

      One might intend to do X but be prevented or change ones mind.  So
intention is
    having a plan of action with a positive feeling about it, a feeling of
determination.

You don't need to plan to do something intentionally.

Sure you do, even if it conceived only moments before the act. How else would you distinguish intentional acts from impulsive or accidental?

    All of which is compatible with determinism.

How so? Please explain and give an example.

      The Mars rover probably has an intention to reach it's next sampling
point.

There probably is no Mars rover except in our intention to see it that way.

Oh, so now you're going to deny that Mars rovers exist in order to counter my example. What about the refrigerator in my kitchen? Does it only exist because I intend it to be a refrigerator? Do words only mean what you intend them to mean when you want to win arguments?

Brent

Craig

No virus found in this message.