On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 05:05:25PM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2013, at 16:52, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:06 AM, Russell Standish
> >>as a quantum computer, since random oracles are another way of
> >>bridging computational complexity classes.
> >>

> My point to Russell was that a random oracle is less powerful than a
> quantum computer, even if the contrary is correct (a quantum
> computer can simulate a random oracle, in principle).

To be fair, I never claimed that random oracle computers are
indistingushable from quantum computers. My point was a nod to the
NP=P result in computers with random oracles, an article you pointed
me to. In fact any model of computation that provides a way of
computing something that is physically impossible with the universes
resources for classical computing would provide a means of explaining
that result (assuming it ever arises). We don't know that quantum
computing and random oracles exhaust the possibiltiies.

> My point to Roger was just that it is doubtful that the brain is a
> quantum computer, for theoretical and experimental reason.

Yes,of course. Sufficiently doubtful that it would be a career
limiting move to go hunting for prodgies who can perform these
arithmetical operations faster than the fastest possible classical computer.