On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Russell Standish
<li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 04:59:05PM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>> On 24 Mar 2013, at 22:50, Russell Standish wrote:
>>
>> >This is true, however real randomness is aavailable, through the very
>> >first person ineterminancy phenomenon you mention below, and evolution
>> >doesn't care, it will exploit whatever is at hand.
>>
>> That does not entail evolution will generate wheels, or quantum
>> brains, or comp-brains (brains exploiting the first person
>> indeterminacy).
>
> I'm not sure where the examples of wheels in evolution comes from, but
> I believe there are several examples - tumbleweed being the most
> prominent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_locomotion_in_living_systems
> lists quite a few examples. I think you may be referring to wheel and
> axle analogues, which is much more difficult, engineering-wise, for
> which the only know example appears to be the flagellum.
>
> As for exploitation of quantum superpositions, it now appears that
> photosynthesis is an example. More examples may be found.
>

>> That kind of randomness can be used. I don't criticize this. Only
>> the use of "genuine randomness".
>> My point is just that free-will, creativity, consciousness does not
>> need such genuine indeterminacy. We don't need "ontological or
>> primitive indeterminacy", the one coming from inside (or from self-
>> reference and self-induction) is enough. We seem to agree, thus.
>> The FPI is used by "nature", but only with respect of the relative
>> measure on the consistent histories/computations.
>>

>> >But for a simple animal, trying to flee a predator - think
>> >fish fleeing a shark, for instance - their brains may not be
>> >sufficiently complex to generate the sort of complex behaviour
>> >required to outwit the predatit. In which case, evolution will exploit
>> >the genuine randomness available in the environment.
>>
>> Well, the animals will survive on the branch where they make the
>> right decision, but I think that their brain will use simple
>> Turing-like complexity, not the FPI, unless they are quantum
>> computers, or the equivalent comp-computers, which I doubt. It is
>> conceivable;
>>

> As for exploitation of quantum random processes by the brain, that
> theory makes two specific predictions: 1) a source of quantum
> randomness must be found - the stochastic thermal behaviour of the
> synapse fits the bill there, and 2) the system must be able to amplify
> small perturbations into whole-system changes, ie we must necessarily
> see the signature of chaotic processes in the brain. Note that
> our most complex machine avoid chaos like the plague. Nyquist noise is
> suppressed at each component or wire.
>
> When this stuff was looked into (when Chaos theory was young and
> trendy), that was exactly what was found - brains are wired for
> chaos. See Walter Freeman, Sci Amer, vol 264, 78-85 (1991). I happen
> to think this observation is significant.

Nice!

I would think 2) is important also to maintain a state of
self-organised criticality, or an unstable equilibrium. Empirically, I
would point out how most of the information we receive is trivially
incorporated (or discarded), but a few pieces of information can
change you more profoundly -- I imagine a domino effect on the "belief
network", however that's implemented. We experience that when we are
learning something hard and suddenly everything clicks.

Maybe creativity is a similar destabilisation that makes things "unclick".

Highly speculative, of course.