On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 4/13/2013 2:40 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> Unless we question causality itself. Which we should. This is why
> Science is not the only way to pursue knowledge and Philosophy is
> necessary.
>

> Causality isn't even an important concept in fundamental physics.  All the
> equations are time reversal (or CPT) invariant.  But philosophers resisted
> this view.

I'm aware, but it is an important concept for all the sciences at
higher levels of abstraction, starting with chemistry. Until
fundamental physics can provide us with workable theories for the meso
world we live in, we have a problem.

> What knowledge do you think has come from philosophy?

You are aware that by asking this question you are already doing philosophy?

Some of my favorites: the scientific method, logic, the
systematisation of fallacies, Descarte's cogito, theories about
knowledge itself (Epistemology). The entire intellectual foundation of
western civilisation may make it to the list too, but it's a bit hard
to enumerate all the ideas...

> Brent
> "The philosophy of science is just about as useful to scientists
> as ornithology is to birds."
>       --- Steven Weinberg

Funny as it might be to treat scientists as a biological class of
organisms, this is a bit silly. Popper's principle of falsifiability
seems rather useful to me. Occam's razor is not that bad either.

Cheers,
Telmo.