On 14 Apr 2013, at 21:45, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/14/2013 6:37 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 4/13/2013 2:40 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
What knowledge do you think has come from philosophy?
You are aware that by asking this question you are already doing philosophy?

Some of my favorites: the scientific method, logic, the
systematisation of fallacies, Descarte's cogito, theories about
knowledge itself (Epistemology). The entire intellectual foundation of
western civilisation may make it to the list too, but it's a bit hard
to enumerate all the ideas...

Brent
"The philosophy of science is just about as useful to scientists
as ornithology is to birds."
      --- Steven Weinberg
Funny as it might be to treat scientists as a biological class of
organisms, this is a bit silly. Popper's principle of falsifiability
seems rather useful to me. Occam's razor is not that bad either.

Useful summaries of practice and explication of science, but are they *knowledge*?

There is no knowledge as such in science. Only falsifiable beliefs.
Oh, we can except some part of arithmetic perhaps.