On Wed, May 1, 2013  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 > It maybe that achieving intelligence via the  evolutionary paths
> available to animals on Earth did entail consciousness.

MAYBE?!  There is quite simply NO way Evolution could have produced
consciousness (and you and I know with absolute certainty that it did at
least once and possibly twice and perhaps 20 billion times or more)  if
intelligence and consciousness were unrelated, and there are no ifs ands or
buts about it.

> But evolution always has to work by modifying what exists.  It's possible
> that there can be intelligent behavior, e.g. AI robots, that are not
> conscious

In the one and only example we have of the construction of intelligent and
conscious things we note that the intelligent part was much more difficult
and took much much longer to achieve than the conscious part; so you
believe that in regard to robots the default assumption should be that
achieving the conscious part will be much more difficult to achieve than
the intelligent part. My friend that simply does not compute.

  John K Clark