On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 10:34:11AM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> 
> On 05 Oct 2013, at 10:05, Russell Standish wrote:
> 
> >
> >I get that Bp is the statement that I can prove p, and that Bp & p is
> >the statement that I know p (assuming Theatetus, of course), but in
> >both cases, I would say the pronoun "I" refers to the same
> >entity.
> 
> G* proves that they are the same, but G does not. It is (in God's
> eye) the same entity, but the machine is unable to know, or to prove
> that, and that explains the difference of the perspective. 3-I has a
> name/description, but the 1-I has no name.

What is the modal logic statement corresponding to I? This is most unclear.

> 
> 
> 
> 
> >English, and AFAIK French, do not make a distinction between
> >3-I and 1-I, so this is some new terminology that you have introduced,
> >with unclear connection to real pronouns. Why do you say they are
> >pronouns?
> 
> Because 1-I and 3-I are variant of the pronoun "I". Natural language
> use the same word, because we tend to confuse them. 

Above, you stated that 1-I was Bp & p and 3-I was Bp. How do those
modal concepts relate to the English language pronoun I? Sorry to
press on this - I just want to know if there is something interesting here.

> The duplication
> experiences are the simplest tool for distinguishing them. The
> Theatetus' definition, when applied to Gödel's beweisbar also
> distinguish them, rather miraculously.

At this point in time, I do not see any connection between the UDA and
the AUDA. They seem to be based on entirely different sets of
propositions:

UDA:
  COMP (Yes doctor, etc)

AUDA:
  Theatetus and brethren, Sigma_1 restriction

If you are alluding to the distinction between communicable and
incommunicable statements, then I do understand the difference between
G and G*\G. But these don't seem to be pronouns...

Whether the G-G* distinction can be related to the FPI of the UDA, I'm
not sure. Plausibly so, I would say, but not definitively proved,
AFAICT, as they seem to be quite different theories.

> Plotinus and most serious people approaching the mind body problem
> saw the difference, but the 1-I is typically eliminated by the
> Aristotelian theologian (like the atheists, the fundamentalists,
> etc.).
> It is almost the difference between the body and the soul. The first
> does admit third person descriptions, the second has none (like
> Truth).
> 
> Bruno
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> >
> >Cheers
> >-- 
> >
> >----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >Prof Russell Standish                  Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
> >Principal, High Performance Coders
> >Visiting Professor of Mathematics      hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
> >University of New South Wales          http://www.hpcoders.com.au
> >----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >-- 
> >You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >Groups "Everything List" group.
> >To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> >send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> >To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> >Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
> >For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
> 
> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Everything List" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

-- 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof Russell Standish                  Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Professor of Mathematics      hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
University of New South Wales          http://www.hpcoders.com.au
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to