On 06 Oct 2013, at 19:48, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 3:43 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> The M-guy is the H-guy  (the M-guy remembers having been the H-guy)

The H-guy turns into the M-guy, but they are not identical just as you are not identical with the Bruno Marchal of yesterday.

> The W-guy is the H-guy  (the W-guy  remembers having been the H-guy)

The H-guy turns into the W-guy, but they are not identical just as you are not identical with the Bruno Marchal of yesterday

But I am still Bruno Marchal, apparently. The FPI depends on that appearance.

> But the M-guy is not the W-guy

True, but the H-guy and the M-guy and the M-guy are all Bruno Marchal because BRUNO MARCHAL HAS BEEN DUPLICATED.

That's my point. OK.

>The rest are unconvincing rhetorical tricks,

Rhetorical tricks my ass! These are details of profound importance simply glossed over with the slapdash use of personal pronouns. And that's pretty damn sloppy for a mathematician.

That's again an unconvincing rhetorical tricks. Be specific please.

> and which, btw,  can be done for the quantum indeterminacy,

The criticism some have with Quantum Mechanics is that what it says is very very odd, but odd or not and love it or hate it what Quantum Mechanics says is crystal clear

This is simply false. Look at the debate in the literature. See the link given just now by Brent. In this list most believe that QM is slightly more understandable with the MWI. Not all problems are solved. Anyway, it is simpler in the first six steps of the UDA, where the situation is utterly transparent, given the protocol, and the definition of 1-I and 3-I.

and it gets the job done; in contrast when your ideas are not opaque they are logically inconsistent.

You should prove statement like that, with specific quote and references.

> Each time we talk about the prediction the "he" refer to the guy in Helsinki before the duplication,

If "he" refers to Bruno Marchal the Helsinki guy then the correct prediction "he" would make is that "he" will see Helsinki and only Helsinki;

You can apply that idea to the guy who throw a coin. You would say that such a guy can only predict that he will throw a coin. This is ridiculous, frankly.

not that predictions, good or bad, have the slightest thing to do with a feeling of continuity or feeling of self.

If that did not exist, no probabilities at all would ever make sense.
(Note that formally your remark is met by the "& Dt" in the formal approach, but it is met by simple common sense in UDA).

And if you want to say that Bruno Marchal the Helsinki guy is dead then fine, but then you must also say that Bruno Marchal of yesterday is dead and personally I don't want to torture the language more that I have to under these very odd circumstances of self duplication.

And we can't do that, because it would make comp false.

> you fake misunderstanding

Why on earth would I, or anyone, pretend not to understand something when they really did?

Because you would ask question, instead of asserting that there is something false, without being able to say what.

Bruno

> of the most easy part of the reasoning.

If this is the clearest reasoning in your "proof" then I'm doubly glad I didn't read anymore.

  John K Clark