On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 10/18/2013 12:26 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> *On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM*, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 10/17/2013 6:04 PM, LizR wrote:
>>
>>  On 18 October 2013 13:42, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  The basis problem is no different from the "present" problem under
>>> special relativity: If we exist in many times across space time, why do we
>>> find ourselves in this particular "now"?
>>>
>>>    I don't know about the basis problem, but the now problem is simple
>> to solve - we don't find ourselves in a particular now, find ourselves in
>> all the nows.
>>

>>  But *I *don't find myself in all the nows.  Why not?
>>

>  I've highlighted the answer for you.  Why should anyone (including you)
> take the word of one particular Brent from one particular time, that other
> Brents do not find themselves in other times?
>

>>   Note that in some basis I *am* in a superposition.
>>

>  How does the theory of mind you are operating under predict what being
> in a superposition should feel like?
>

> First, my theory of mind makes mind dependent on classical processes in a
> physical brain - so it explains why experiences are of the classical.

Okay.

> But Bruno's theory takes experience as logically prior to the physical.
> So he can't appeal to the physical aspects of the brain to make experience
> classical.

He assumes this when he says our consciousness is supported by a Turing
emulable process.  Turing machines are classical.

> Second, you and I are in superpositions relative to some bases.  So how
> does it feel?

Let me make sure I understand the question.  Let us say we are in a metal
box (like Schrodinger's cat), and we measure the spin state of some
electron's y-axis. Outside of this box, there is an observer, and from his
perspective, we within the box remain in a super position of having
measured both states.  You are asking what it feels like to the person
inside the box in the superposition, from the perspective of the person
outside the box?

If so, I think the answer is rather clear.  It doesn't matter what the
person outside the box thinks, within the box the electron's spin is no
longer in the superposition, and neither is the person who measured it.
Their experiences have diverged. From the perspective of the person outside
the box, they know that the person inside will be performing the
measurement and has split.  Had they known the entire state of the wave
function within the box, they could predict it is now in a superposition
where one observer has measured and written down "spin is up", and the
other where the observer has written "spin is down", but even from the
perspective of this external observer, he does not find any state in the
evolved wavefunction of the box where the two observers have some kind of
shared memory of seeing both states.

Jason