On 18 Oct 2013, at 23:02, John Mikes wrote:

Bruno: "what" is a person? (according to the US Supreme Court lately:
a Corporation, but I don't buy that)

You are right. Making a corporation into a person is a total shameful superdangerous idea (for our human rights).

A person is an abstract type related to machines or entities having enough self-referential power.

How can a Turing Machine EMULATE something different from it?
(I know very little about the T.M.: is it infinite?)

The universal machines is a finite object, and it is universal because it can emulate all other machines, which are different from itself.

You wrote: ..."we (our souls) are in touch with the infinite..."
Is a person different from 'it's' SOUL?

A person has two aspects (even 8, even 4 + 4*infinity). The first person pov (the soul, Bp & p, the memory content when true, etc.), and the third person aspect (the body, of the code, what the doctor can put on an hard disk, or sent through space).

How can WE (and who is that?)

We, the Löbian machine-dreamers.

be in touch with the infinite? Are "WE" infinite? is our "SOUL" finite?

Yes and no.
Our bodies are finite, but our souls, to be able to think, needs to go through at least two sates, and the second one is determined through infinities of computations, as explained in the UDA.

I never met Mr Soul so far.

It is the first person. It is all your immaterial aspects including your current consciousness. "soul" is a good term to distinguish it from the body, which with comp is owned by the soul, and can be replaced by another.

IMO Descartes invented it for his duality to escape from the threat of the inquisition. (Spinoza was luckier: he did not have to go that far, he was only 'shunned' by his Jewish brethren.)

Is it wrong to try to KNOW (understand maybe) what we are talking about?

It is wrong to pretend we know. But we can always try, by making our beliefs enough precise so as to be testable. We learn when our apparent knowledge appears to have been a wrong belief.

Bruno

John Mikes