On 20 Oct 2013, at 17:21, John Clark wrote:

>> When John Clark asks "who is you?" Bruno responds that he could no more answer that question than he could square a circle.

> The quote, please.

John Clark will be happy to:

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

"So, asking me to not use pronouns, in what is in great part a theory of pronouns, is like asking me to square the circle."

I didn't say that "I could not answer that question". I said just the contrary: I offer a theory of pronouns. I need the use of pronouns in the thought experiment, because the goal is to clarify their use, which I do by distinguishing a notion of first person and third person in term of annihilation and reconstitution.

I provide two such definitions. One purely mathematical (AUDA), and one based on the postulate that consciousness is invariant for some digital transformation of the brain (UDA).

I have still no clue what you miss in step 3.

I am pretty sure you will begin to understand the interest at step 4, because the question which is asked there has no natural equivalent with the other form of indeterminacies.

Let me put it in this way: accepting that P(W) = P(M) =1/2, with W and M describing the first person experiences of the respective copies, do you accept that P(M) = P(W) = 1/2, in the protocol where the copy in W is reconstituted more or less immediately (like in step 3), but where the copy in M is delayed for one year? As always the prediction are done *before* the reading/annihilation, by the guy in Helsinki, and bears in the future first person experience, (which we know will be unique as the probability of "I will see only one city" is one, assuming comp of course).