On 11/12/2013 1:02 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2013/11/12 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

    On 11/12/2013 12:45 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

    2013/11/12 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

        On 11/12/2013 12:23 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
        This is ASSA, and I find that absurd, there is no absolute probability
of
        being alive, probability is only meaningful between two moments...

        But there's a probability of being alive at time t in the future,

    This is ASSA

        and that can become arbitrarily small, and in fact it is arbitrarily
small

    If absolute measure makes sense, then your absolute measure is always
decreasing,
    still in MWI, as there is always a next moment (which will be as *real* as
the
    previous one), I don't see how ASSA is relevant for the question.

    I guess it depends on how you value future states.  If only those you exist
in
    matter then you can ignore the ASSA.  No need for life insurance.  No
concern about
    global warming.

That does not follow... RSSA is moment to moment... If you have a gun in front of you and you shoot in your head and if MWI is true, there will be more branches where you are crippled than where you are perfectly safe (and a hell of a lot more where you're dead, but *we don't count where you're not*).

But that's part of what bothers me about this idea. How crippled/brain-damaged can you be and still count as a continuation? Are there degrees of continuation? If so, why can't the degrees asymptote to zero?

        - so all rational decisions will be based on assuming it becomes zero.
Right?

    I don't see how decisions come into play here, rational decisions depends
on the
    one taking them... I would rationally choose to minimize arm for me (so as
not to
    put my life in jeopardy), because if MWI is true *and* with RSSA, me in
front on a
    shotgun, will likely result me being crippled while not dead with a hell
lot more
    probability than being perfectly safe

    But most such events, like being shot with a shotgun, are essentially
classical
    which implies that your continuations depend on extremely improbable events

Sure, but the point is *αΊ—here is a continuation*; that's all what is needed for the argument to follow.

"There is a continuation" seems to slough over what counts as a continuation and whether we should care about it. If the only continuations are quite different from what you think of as Quentin Anciaux, do they still count? And I don't think you can just rely on the continuity of Hilbert space evolution because the time scale of that evolution can be much faster than the sequences of conscious thought. So as far QM goes you could evolve from Quentin Anciaux to Neo (or to Brent Meeker) in a millisecond.

    - Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns, e.g. you wake up from having dreamed a whole
life
    which led to you being shot, or you discover you are just participating in a
    simulation in which you were shot, or you're not really Quentin Anciaux,
or...  Did
    you read "Divided by Infinity"?

    .... RSSA is of use, ASSA not much at all.

    So have you bought an annuity for your retirement?

You confuse things... RSSA is important, and that's why you buy a life
insurance.

Life insurance I understand, it is for other people that survive you (in almost all worlds). But an annuity is for yourself, so that you don't outlive your savings in your retirement.