On 11/19/2013 10:26 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    >> Everybody has an opinion but nobody knows the true cost of CO2
emissions, and
    nobody will know for decades and perhaps centuries.
    > That's ignoring the science that says it's going to be pretty high if we
continue
    to increase it.

You've got to give it a number and a number we can have confidence in; "pretty high" is useless

There are plenty of explicit estimates of the cost of sea level rise. Other costs are harder to predict: How much will ocean acidification affect sea life and fishing? How will rain patterns changing affect agriculture? If we could put a high confidence lower bound on the cost, say 90% confidence it will cost more than 10T$, do you think that would cause anyone to take action? or just bring up more doubts and obfuscation?

because the cost of giving up fossil fuels before a replacement is found to the quality of life of 7 billion people on this planet will be "pretty high" too.

That's spudboy's straw man. Nobody suggests giving up fossil fuel without replacement. What is suggested in spending more money on replacements and taxing fossil fuel to pay for it.

And remember, it's much more expensive to spend a dollar now than spend a dollar in 50 years, so I believe that right now the best course of action regarding CO2 is to delay action.

Depends on what action you're talking about delaying. Fifty years is not far away in terms of developing commercial LFTRs or creating a more efficient DC electrical grid.

Our grandparents didn't make huge sacrifices to their lifestyle to solve some
vague

Global warming isn't vague. It's quite explicit. It's just that local effects, beyond sea level rise, are hard to predict.

very long range problem that might not even turn out to be important so lets do the same. I say let your grandchildren solve their own damn problems just as we did, and besides, they will have much better tools to fix things if they need fixing than we do.

They won't have the tools unless somebody develops them.