From: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Nov 19, 2013 4:43 pm
Subject: Re: Nuclear power

On 11/19/2013 10:26 AM, John Clark      wrote:

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>        wrote:

>> Everybody has an opinion but                            nobody knows the
>> true cost of CO2 emissions,                            and nobody will know
>> for decades and perhaps                            centuries.

                > That's ignoring the science that says it's going to
     be pretty high if we continue to increase it.

You've got to give it a number and a number we can have              confidence
in; "pretty high" is useless

    There are plenty of explicit estimates of the cost of sea level    rise.
Other costs are harder to predict: How much will ocean    acidification affect
sea life and fishing?  How will rain patterns    changing affect agriculture?
If we could put a high confidence    lower bound on the cost, say 90%
confidence it will cost more than    10T$, do you think that would cause anyone
to take action?  or just    bring up more doubts and obfuscation?

because the cost of giving up fossil fuels before a              replacement is
found to the quality of life of 7 billion              people on this planet
will be "pretty high" too.

    That's spudboy's straw man.  Nobody suggests giving up fossil fuel
without replacement.  What is suggested in spending more money on
replacements and taxing fossil fuel to pay for it.

And remember, it's much more expensive to spend a              dollar now than
spend a dollar in 50 years, so I believe              that right now the best
course of action regarding CO2 is              to delay action.

    Depends on what action you're talking about delaying.  Fifty years    is
not far away in terms of developing commercial LFTRs or creating    a more
efficient DC electrical grid.

Our grandparents didn't make huge sacrifices to their              lifestyle to
solve some vague

    Global warming isn't vague.  It's quite explicit.  It's just that    local
effects, beyond sea level rise, are hard to predict.

very long range problem that might not even turn out to              be
important so lets do the same. I say let your              grandchildren solve
their own damn problems just as we              did, and besides, they will
have much better tools to fix              things if they need fixing than we
do.

    They won't have the tools unless somebody develops them.