2013/12/11 John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:
>
> > We always feel that we are a single person
>>

> Yes but the copy that walked out of the duplicating chamber with you (or
> perhaps you are the copy and he is the original, no way to tell and no
> reason to care) also feels like a single person, and the exact same single
> person that you do.
>
> > We feel that we have a past;
>>

> Yes, and the copy of you that was made 5 seconds ago vividly remembers
> when he was in kindergarten 20 years ago.
>
> > if you use Everett's interpretation to think about reality, then
>> personal pronouns become ambiguous in the exact same way that you always
>> point out.
>>

> No they do not. In Everett it's always obvious who I'm talking about when
> I use the personal pronoun "you", it's the only other fellow in the room
> with me; but in Bruno's thought experiment there is a man standing to the
> right of the duplicating machine and a identical looking man standing to
> the left of the duplicating machine and they both have a equal right to use
> the grand title "you".

Yeah once again the bogus assertion of John Clarck that makes change
everything you can conclude because you can't meet your doppelganger... yes
that change everything, if one day you'll be able to duplicate john clarck
you know what will happen ? John Clarck?!? will stay mute because it?!?
will be the end for him?!?, he?!? won't be able to use
I?!?/You?!?/He?!?/She?!? anymore... in his?!? head, the meaning will have
dissapeared like "poof" !

Quentin

> > Under the MWI, observing the behaviour of an electron is equivalent to
>> going through a duplicator,
>>

> No it is not because in MWI the entire universe is duplicated including
> the observer so he never sees more than one electron so he can safely use
> the pronoun "it"; but with Bruno's duplicating chamber the observer is not
> duplicated only the electron is, so he sees 2 electrons, so to avoid
> ambiguity that solo observer would have to say "it on the right" or "it on
> the left", just saying "it" won't do.
>
> > Personal pronouns are part of language that evolved under a certain
>> model of reality
>>

> Yes, and the environment personal pronouns evolved in did NOT include
> duplicating chambers, if it had the rules of grammar regarding them would
> be very different from what they are now.
>
>   John K Clark
>
>  --

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. (Roy
Batty/Rutger Hauer)