On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2013, at 19:37, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>
> Hi Bruno,
>
>    Why does an entire universe need to be simulated?
>

> ?
>
> If "I" (third person self-reference) is Turing emulable, then the "entire
> universe" is certainly not emulable, nor even well definable.

OK, cool.

> Could not just finite portions of some universe be simulated, that which
> is perceived by the "observers" (however such might be defined).
>

> Yes, that is what the UD does, all computations going through your comp
> state, below (and above) your substitution level. The "physical universe"
> is an epistemological relative (indexical) view from inside, and the FPI
> makes it a priori not computable, below the substitution level.
>
> Keep in mind I only translate a problem in arithmetic. That is a "miracle"
> made possible by the conjunction of the Church-Post-Turing thesis and the
> "yes doctor" bet/assumption. (You know the details).

I suspect that Yes Doctor is a cheat. It assumes a plurality of minds that
share a common "reality" in order to define a level of substitution. I
think that the commonality *is* the physical reality and that the ability
replacing parts is merely the side effect.
  We agree that there is no primitive "material world", we disagree that
there is a primitive "mathematical world". Arithmetic realism is not
neutral monism as I see things.

> Why does it seem that a "god's eye view needs to be simulated?
>

> Stephen, you make me anxious. I have never said such a ridiculous thing.
> Even a first person point of view of a machine, cannot be simulated or even
> defined by that machine, or other machines.

My apologies. I didn't mean to "put words in your mouth". My comment about
a "god's eye view" was not aimed at you. I simply find the very idea of a
"god's eye view" and its related Laplacean material Universe to be absurd
and contradicted by facts.

> The "ONE" of comp is Arithmetical Truth (or the set of Gödel numbers of
> true arithmetical sentences). That is not Turing emulable at all.
>
> Arithmetical truth is the union of all sigma_i, all pi_i, sentences, and
> that's the "God" of the machine (in a first approximation, in the
> meta-theology of simple machines).
>
> The simulable = the sigma_1 truth = the universal machine (a finite being)
> = the "man" (Plotinus) = us  (in our local terrestrial context or relative
> universal machines (and that follows from the assumption).

Sure! I concur, but I suspect that this view is a bit too "Platonic".

> BTW, David Albert's argument against the narratability of the universe is
> a very strong case against any concept of a "god's eye view", IMHO.
>

> For a "physical universe appearance" that is an easy consequence of
> computationalism. If Albert derives this from QM, that confirms the type of
> thing a universe can be with computationalism.
>
> Don't confuse arithmetical, and computable. The computable is the tiny
> sigma_1 part of the arithmetical (which contains the pi_1, sigma_2, etc.
> sentences.

Ah, I do often confuse these two. yes, thank you for the correction.

> Many machine's attribute are not computable, especially her relation with
> "Truth", which are quite NOT computable, and physics inherit some of those
> non computable parts. (a priori too many, reducing the mind body problem in
> an arithmetical justification of physics problem).
>
> Keep in mind:
> sigma_1 truth = simulable = equivalent to proving a sigma_1 sentence
> EnP(n) in RA or in any universal system.
> Arithmetical-truth is the much vaster set union of all sigma_i and pi_i.
> It contains very complex sentences, like a Pi_3 sentence AxEyAzP(x, y, z).
> The Riemann hypothesis is only Pi_1, that is a negation of a sigma_1
> sentence, they have the shape AxP(x), with P decidable.
>
> For any correct Löbian machine his consistency (or existence of a
> model/reality), that is Dt, or <> t, is a true pi_1 sentence, yet
> unprovable by the machine.
>
> No worry, the "god" of the machine is not Turing emulable, God's eyes is
> not Turing emulable, not computable.

I agree! I wish more people understood that, Bruno! It is a very deep and
important result!

> And the complete "Noùs", the second hypostases (with the quantified modal
> logic), qG*,  is worse. Even God cannot emulate it.
>
> At the propositional level, yet, by Solovay, those theories are decidable,
> even about the undecidable. G cannot prove Dt reflects that the correct
> machine cannot prove its consistency, and G* (decidable, even nicely
> representable in G) proves Dt, and all similar unprovable propositions.
> They are trivial for us because the little machine is kept simple and
> rational. The result is "irreversible" or "essential", in the sense it will
> remain true for any effective or mechanical extension of the machine.
>
> The arithmetical clothes of B can change and develop, but as long as the
> machine keep self-referential correctness, its science will obey G, and its
> theology will obey G*, and its soul obey S4Grz. (and the three physics are
> qS4Grz1, qZ1*, qX1*"
>
> where in Z:  []p = Bp & Dt.  In X, []p = Bp & Dt & p. And "1" means we add
> "p -> Bp" to G, to restrict the atomic sentences to the computable".

I just hope some day you might develop a logic of concurrent interactions
between pairs of "computations going through an observer's comp state".

> Bruno
>

> On Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:39:33 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 12 Dec 2013, at 19:06, meekerdb wrote:
>>
>>  On 12/12/2013 9:21 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>> 2) the lower level: the description of the Heisenberg matrix state of the
>> entire (quantum observable) state of the entire local cluster of galaxies,
>> (including dark matter!) and all this at the level of the "right" fields,
>> or at the level of elementary strings and branes, and this with 10^(10^10)
>> decimals. Use the Schroedinger picture if you prefer. No collapse!
>>

>> But in this case the doctor doing the substitution is included in the
>> substitution.  I think this produces a contradiction.
>>

>> That happens all the time with universal machines. They can simulate
>> another machine simulating themselves, and the UD brought this in the
>> picture. With the phi_i and the W_i,  many apparent contradictions are
>> resolved through the fact that we are confronted with non stopping machines.
>>
>> Of course, as I said, it would make the thought experience difficult, for
>> no reason, in the first six steps.
>> In this list, the first presentation of the UD was a presentation in 15
>> steps, where I made explicit the neuro-high level assumption used in "step
>> 1-6" and show explicitly at "step 7" how the UD* (the complete running of
>> the UD) discharge that assumption.
>>
>> The mathematical reason why we escape the contradiction is related to the
>> closure of diagonalization, and to Kleene's second recursion theorem, which
>> allows machine to invoke machines invoking them. It is standard in
>> theoretical computer science.
>>
>> Judson Webb explains well how Gödel's theorem protect Church thesis,
>> which protect mechanism. In fact Gödel's theorem and the whole of G*-G,
>> create the points of view (by the machine distinction between Bp and Bp &
>> p, etc.), and protect the whole machine's theology, by splitting the
>> communicable part from the non communicable one. Mathematical logic
>> distinguish also what is expressible by the machine, and what is not
>> expressible, yet "known" or produces as "true" in many possible ways.
>>
>> The UD even run dreams in dreams in dreams .... in a completely circular
>> way. We cannot impeach it to dig in the absurd, once it is computable. That
>> would be like trying to eliminate the number 13 from the integers.
>>
>> Obviously, if the level is so low you need to simulate the entire
>> universal wave, in practice you will say NO to the doctor, but at step
>> seven, even if the level is that low, the main consequences remain
>> unchanged.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

>> Brent
>>
>> --