On Thu, Dec 19, 2013  Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you agree that after turning this computer on, and letting it run for
> a long enough time (eternity let's say), there is a 100% chance John Clark
> will eventually find himself in this computer

Yes, in fact it may have already happened.

>> That would only be true if everything that could exist does exist, and
>> maybe that's the way things are but it is not obviously true.
>>

> >It doesn't require that everything to exist, it requires only one
> particular program to exist: the universal dovetailer.  This program and
> its execution exist within mathematics.

I'm pretty confident that such a program exists within mathematics, but I
am far less confident that a computer to run it on also exists at that same
level of reality; I'm not saying it doesn't, maybe it does, but I don't
know it for a fact. With today's emphasis on software sometimes we forget
that a program is useless without hardware to run it on.

> For example, it is a true statement that the state of this program after
> the 10^100th step of its computation has some particular value X, and it is
> also a true statement that the 10^100 + 1 step has some other particular
> value Y. It is also a true statement that the program corresponding to the
> emulation of the wave function for the Milky Way Galaxy contains John Clark
> and this particular John Clark believes he is conscious and alive and
> sitting in front of a computer in a physical universe.

For that you don't need to bring in Everett or Quantum Mechanics or virtual
worlds or dovetailing or computers, all you need are the 19'th century
ideas of Ludwig Boltzmann. There are a gargantuan number of ways the atoms
in my 200 pound body could be organized, but there are not a infinite
number, therefore if the universe is spatially infinite  10^1000 light
years away (give or take a few hundred thousand million billion trillion)
there can be no doubt that John Clark is typing a post to the Everything
list about Boltzmann's idea.

  John K Clark