Edgar,

It may not be necessary to produce an exact replica of the brain. I mean
that is more or less implied by choosing a level of substitution... if
you're substituting at a relatively coarse-grained level such as neurons,
then you are betting that most of the intracellular details of a neuron are
not important for capturing the essence of "you".  So if you won't say
'yes' to the doctor and the only reason is because he can't make something
"exactly you", then you are betting that comp is not true. In which case,
you effectively sabotage your own theory, in which people are computed by
an underlying reality.  The requirement for exactness seems a bit
argumentative, considering that the version of me today is not the "exact
me" of yesterday, yet my consciousness and identity are not meaningfully
impacted by that.

I think what you miss by not actually attempting to understand Bruno's
argument is that the laws of physics, including those "elemental laws", are
captured by computations in the universal dovetailer in much the same way
that your theory expresses reality as a computation.  We experience a
physical world because we are embedded in those computations as well.
AFAICT the only significant difference between your theory and the UDA is
that you are positing one single, universal "absolute" computational
reality as fundamental, while the UDA posits that there are an infinity of
such computational realities that emerge from a fundamental ontology based
on nothing more than natural numbers and the relationships between them.

You are much closer to the UDA than you realize, I think.

Terren