On 10 January 2014 14:22, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Liz,
>
> No, I don't agree with that at all. As I've said on a number of occasions,
> reality is obviously computed because it exists. What more convincing proof
> could there be?

One that explains why that has to be so would be a good start.

> If Bruno's comp claims reality is non-computable it's pure nonsense that
> is conclusively falsified by the very existence of reality.
>
> The point is that certain assumptions lead to certain conclusions. If the
conclusions invalidate the assumptions, then the correct response is to
throw out the original assumptions as invalid. Bruno starts from the
assumption that consciousness is a form of computation and draws certain
inferences. This isn't what comp "claims" it's what the argument shows,
given the assumptions. The only way to falsify it is to show that one of
the assumptions is wrong, or that there is a flaw in the reasoning that
leads to the conclusions.