No, that's not the only way to falsify it. One merely needs to show it
doesn't properly describe reality as I've just done. If you even assume a
computational universe in the first place you have to assume (you are
assuming) that it computes reality. The fact that reality exists is
conclusive proof.

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:53:18 PM UTC-5, Liz R wrote:
> On 10 January 2014 14:22, Edgar L. Owen < <javascript:>>wrote:
>> Liz,
>> No, I don't agree with that at all. As I've said on a number of
>> occasions, reality is obviously computed because it exists. What more
>> convincing proof could there be?
> One that explains why that has to be so would be a good start.
>>  If Bruno's comp claims reality is non-computable it's pure nonsense that
>> is conclusively falsified by the very existence of reality.
>> The point is that certain assumptions lead to certain conclusions. If the
> conclusions invalidate the assumptions, then the correct response is to
> throw out the original assumptions as invalid. Bruno starts from the
> assumption that consciousness is a form of computation and draws certain
> inferences. This isn't what comp "claims" it's what the argument shows,
> given the assumptions. The only way to falsify it is to show that one of
> the assumptions is wrong, or that there is a flaw in the reasoning that
> leads to the conclusions.

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit