Liz,

Sigh.... Now we have several people complaining because I haven't offered a
'formal theory'. However not a single one of the complainers has themselves
offered a formal theory even though they are continually offering theories
of their own, none of which are formalized. Is that fair?

The only person on this group who has a formal theory that I'm aware of is
Bruno. No one else? You don't have one of your own but you are criticizing
me because I don't have one?

What you guys don't seem to understand is that whether a theory accurately
describes reality or not is a much more important criterion than whether
that theory is formalized or not. Physics described reality quite
accurately for years before it reached its current degree of formalization
and that's why it was accepted.

Doesn't really matter whether you have a formal theory or not if there is
no connection to reality now does there? Bruno's theory is apparently quite
tightly formalized but I see none of the required actual consistency with
reality to indicate it actually applies to reality at all.

Bruno's theory may itself be logically consistent, but I see no consistency
with actual reality. Mine on the other hand is entirely consistent with
actual reality because it clearly states that the computations of its
computational reality are precisely what is actually necessary to compute
the real processes of nature, whatever they are.

Bruno's on the other hand makes the wild and unsubstantiated assumption
that all possible math is 'out there' in reality somehow even if it's doing
nothing. A very improbable assumption there is no empirical evidence for
whatsoever. Doesn't matter in the least if the logical consequences of that
initial assumption are tight and valid (a formalized theory) if the
assumption itself isn't.

I just hope you guys understand what I'm saying is a basis of scientific
method. Doesn't matter so much if a theory is formalized. What matters is
its explanatory power and consistency with actually observed phenomena.

Edgar

My theory on the other hand takes