On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Bruno Marchal <> wrote:

> The simulation is locally finite, and the comp-physics is necessarily
>> infinite (it emerges from the 1p indeterminacy on the whole UD*), so, soon
>> or later, he will bet that he is in a simulation (or that comp is wrong).
> An interesting answer! I wonder what Brent will say.
> Yes, and Terren.

I think the answer is more complex than that. The simulation is locally
finite, but so are all simulations. There is still FPI going on in the
"rogue" simulation - the one where Glak emerges from an
alternative-physics, as there are infinite continuations from Glak's
state(s) in the alternative physics.

The reason I am still unsure of your answer here Bruno is that I can
imagine a scenario where Glak is implemented in an alternative physics -
that is to say, knows herself as Glak and has memories of being Glak - but
Glak is not able to be implemented in "our" physics. For example, in the
alternative physics world, Glak's psychology is embodied in a completely
different kind of biology, a biology that is not compatible with our
physics. Now by comp, Glak's mind can be uploaded to a simulation running
in our physics, but it is no longer clear which measure is more probable.
It seems possible to me that Glak's measure is greatest in the alternative

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit