On 29 Jul 2014, at 14:50, David Nyman wrote:

On 28 July 2014 19:16, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

This makes clearer my "apprehension" of Hoyle's heuristic, which might, if taken too much seriously, be on the slope of a reductionism of something 1p to something 3p. Perhaps.

I do appreciate the picture and your attempt to use it for helping people to better handle the CTM.

Well, I trust I've never taken it more seriously than as a possibly helpful metaphor (in the spirit of Wittgensteins's ladders). But Hoyle's idea seems intrinsically 1p to me. It doesn't seem to depend on any 3p ontological assumption in particular. His universal knower possesses at the outset a panoptic overview that is conceived as continually splitting into discrete momentarily-relativised episodes. ISTM that according to Hoyle, in terms of each such episode (or consistent subjective extension)

OK, that was not always clear. But it leads to the difficult, if any, question of the relation between machines and truth.

With comp, the "consistent" extension are really relative to the "actual state of mind", but the relation between God, be it the outer and the inner one" might be of a different type. God is not subject to the indeterminacy a priori, It needs to lose itself somehow and that's what brain does and universal number's do by particularizing the universal consciousness in contexts.

we should expect to find ourselves in precisely the state of relative existential indeterminacy you describe.

Always? In all mind state?

Those are very complex questions, and I have to say that the exploration of "radically different" altered consciousness state have made the task more complex.

I suppose the question is whether any immediate experience can plausibly be correlated with *some* discrete 3p configuration (even in the case that this may be any one of a fungible class), like a "time capsule". Perhaps this notion is itself incompatible with comp? Perhaps you could you elucidate further.

MGA questions the link between "consciousness here and now" with "my brain/body here and now".

It is more like: "consciousness here and now" is linked to the whole diabolo of possible "past computations" + "possible future computations/consistent extensions". That link is not an identification, as the 1p is not any 3p thing, but a modal view, which enforces the semantical structures on the consistent extensions (the <>p, which behaves differently according to the points of view chosen among the eight basic provided by incompleteness).

A computational state makes sense only relatively to universal numbers, which themselves makes sense through the sigma-1 complete assumption we make, but consciousness mix truth (God) with the "histories", made by all universal numbers,

The notion of 'time capsule' (Barbour) is a priori a good pedagogical tool, it corresponds to the 1p Maury effect, where the brain create in a short period of time a complete (new) 1p-past, like in the beginning of dreams, and in the beginning of many novels. The brain does that indeed all the time, in some sense. But the consciousness is not related to a 3p time capsule, but to that 3p structure *and* its relation with the arithmetical truth, which is more than just the 3p diabolo. We can't know from inside what it is exactly, at least in the non dissociative mundane experience of "the time capsule".

Advanced stuff, David. I have not the competence to translate such nuance in arithmetic. It touch many open problems. It needs probably the full quantified modal logics, and a better understanding of the relation between consciousness and each hypostase.

It is the frustrating aspect of computationalism. The interesting questions become difficult problems in arithmetic and metamathematics/ computer science.

Bruno

David