On 3/1/2015 1:39 PM, LizR wrote:
If Bruno uses God to mean an origin, perhaps he should call it 0 (zero) or { } - the empty set?

I think he wants to mean the underlying basis of everything, not just a beginning, but a sustaining basis - and he doesn't believe in set theory or doesn't believe it is basis enough. As Kronecker said, "Die ganze Zahl schuf der liebe Gott, alles Übrige ist Menschenwerk." At a gut level I think he wants to poke the eye of some atheists who rejected his thesis. Otherwise he could easily use "The One" or aperion or quintessence other theologically neutral terms.

I am not sure what evidence there is for a creator, but even if there is such evidence that doesn't answer the question at the top of the thread - "Why is there something rather than nothing?" It just changes it to "Why is there a creator?"

He thinks arithmetic is logically necessary and therefore whatever satisfies its existence predicate is what exists.

Brent
Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.
    --- Ambrose Bierce