On 01 Mar 2015, at 13:01, Samiya Illias wrote:

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 3:21 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 28 Feb 2015, at 19:33, Samiya Illias wrote:

On 28-Feb-2015, at 11:00 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 27 Feb 2015, at 12:56, Samiya Illias wrote:

Why don't you just call it One with a capital O

Because I use "One" for Plotinus first Hypostase. I use God, for the general notion, used by most philosophers and comparative theologians.

God / Allah (The Deity) are terms used for a being worthy of worship (loving obedience).

That might be true for those who meet God, and strictly speaking it go without saying. But it might lead to catastrophes when said by anyone, because you can't really name God so as to be clear about what to obey to. Cerfeul, as the trick is ,for some tyrant, to make believe he is the intermediate. That happens very often.

Does the One/God of Comp mean as such?

I suspect so, but with that important proviso, above.

From what I've gathered from your explanations, it simply points to an origin, not the Creator of the origin(s). Is that correct?

I would say that it points on the permanent immutable perfection, say, at the origin and end of all origins and ends. It is out of time and space, and explains the reason of the perception of origin, time, space, etc

I think "God" is more a semantic reason than an "origin". It is not omnipotent. Its perfection makes it unable to cope with many things, including matter. There is a trade-of between knowledge and ability to change/move. God can oscillate between knowing all things, but then unable to change anything, or forgetting and then being able to change and move.

Well, though you can refer to it with whatever word seems appropriate to you, however I would suggest that you do not use of the term Allah, as the concept of the term is a perfect, perfectly- able, perfectly and constantly all-aware, all-seeing, all-hearing, perfectly-commanding and perfectly-governing being, in control of everything

So why worry?

If I decide to call it Allah, why would you doubt that this is Allah will?

and not sharing its sovereignty or command with anyone.

I agree 100%. That's the way of the Gods, and the God, or Goddess.

But that is exactly what many humans do not seem to grasp, when they believe in prophets and fairy tales. They invent, I'm afraid, intermediate between God and humans, for political purpose. I am not sure at all, but it does look like blasphemy.

Allah alone is worthy of worship,

Well, if by Allah you mean God, I certainly agree, but I don't think any human has a monopoly of a name, as "The God" (which I think is Allah in arab) has no name.

Suggesting me not to use Allah seems a little weird, then.

and all else is creation,

Or emanation. OK. We can look at the detail later, as you know I think the neoplatonist muslims, jews and christians are less wrong than the Aristotelians. They are less numerous too.

and even the mightiest / loftiest of creation submits humbly to Allah. Use of the word Allah for a concept less-powerful may not be a good idea.

Are you saying that God is less-powerful than Allah?

Then, given what I mean by "God", you should encourage me to use Allah. Logically.

And then, IF I use Allah, what makes you think it could be possible that it is not Allah's wish, given that Allah controls everything?

I am not so sure I understand you fully, Samiya. I certainly understand that you might not appreciate the doubt about taking literally the talk of the prophets (despite we both agree they are human). I understand also the hardness to accept that in theology we might have chosen the wrong path, since the sixth century in Occident and the eleventh century in the Middle-East.

I thought you might be pleased with such terming, but I can also understand the worry. No problem, I will use, according to the context the more neutral "One", or "The Truth", or "The ultimate reality", or simply "God" (the common term used in comparative theology) and not call It/He/She Allah, nor Brahma, nor Tao, nor ....

You are right that we cannot comprehend it, but sometimes you do behave like you do comprehend it, somehow, it seems to me.

All Names miss the One.

I think. Currently.

Bruno

Samiya

But it is a very complex subject, and I am extrapolating probably too much. You might read the book by Brian Hines "Return to the One" (subtitled "Plotinus' guide To God-Realization"). It is not a scholar, but it fits rather well with the machine's talk, but to verify this we need to climb that Mountain, and if I remember well we are still learning lacing the shoes ....

About this, can you tell me if you have a idea of what a set is? And what a subset is? How many subsets has the set {0, 1}?

I hope you indulge my math teaching vocation ... For the greeks, mathematics is the preliminary study of theology.

Bruno

Samiya

Bruno

Samiya