On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 07:07:09AM +0200, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

> Which assumes perhaps too strong a form of functionalism and/or digitalism
> that runs into its own contradiction with 1p consciousness?
>
> As pointed out in earlier post: With that move, it is no longer relevant to
> distinguish recording from person who has 1p experience, zombie question is
> nonsense, no indexical property, there is correct substitution level, all
> possible 1p consciousness of all persons supervenes on the recording
> (everything digital) *or* none at all since recording has no CC and other
> such funky consequences I can't recall. How is this avoided if everything
> is one bland sauce of digital?

It is not at all obvious that counterfactual correctness (CC) is
required for a computation to be conscious. Bruno usually argues that
feature is a red herring. If it is, then non-CC recordings are not
conscious, and the MGA goes through in the small (non-robust) universe
case. But recordings can also be counterfactually correct in principle
(in the form of a huge lookup table, for example, in Searles's Chinese
Room), or in the form of a precise specification of the quantum wave
function, or of a finite chunk of the UD* trace. Modulo the no-cloning
theorem, or the Seth Lloyd limit which would prevent such a recording
existing in our current universe.

> Thanks for pushing the question though Russell, as my earlier posts were
> perhaps less clear on this. I guess you're coming from some ground I can't
> parse or have missed reading and you have my apology here if so. But
> zombies can be tricky bastards :-)
>

> > Where do you draw the line? I'm afraid
> >> intuition does not help much in this matter, which is why I say it is
> >> a weakness of the MGA.
> >>

> > There must be something more to it than just complexity or even Turing
> > universality. Bruno says human-like consciousness requires Lobianity.  But
> > I think that's asking for more than just awarenss; it's asking for
> > self-awarness.
>

> Which with comp assumptions/environment includes the properties that come
> with that kind of self-awareness, e.g. incompleteness, machine's silence
> etc. PGC
>

> > If I were building a Mars Rover and gave it the ability to learn from its
> > experience by reviewing its memory of events and projecting hypothetical
> > futures, I would be concerned that I had created a sentient being that
> > would forsee its own end.  So I would be sure to avoid putting its
> > indefinite survival into its value system.
> >
> > Brent

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret
         (http://www.hpcoders.com.au/AmoebasSecret.html)