On 30 Sep 2017, at 22:48, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 5:37 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​I predict the one and only one thing I will see tomorrow after I become two is Santa Clause's workshop.

​> ​Of course, this is a joke. I hope.

I was ​dead serious​. After I have been duplicated and become two there will be no proof that the one and only one thing that I saw​ ​was​ ​Santa Clause's workshop​ but there will be no proof ​that the one and only one thing that I saw​ ​ was NOT ​​Santa Clause's workshop​ either; and the same thing could be said for everything else in the universe.

?

And don't start talking about interviewing the copies afterwards ​ because they have nothing to do with it.

?

The question was asking about the one and only one being that will result when one being becomes two, and neither the Moscow man nor the Washington man fits that description better than a elf in Santa Clause's workshop​.

Ah OK. That is why you don't listen to the copies. They are elves in Santa Clause's shop.

How could I have not figured that out earlier?

That's the trouble with gibberish statements, nothing can ever confirm them and nothing can ever refute them.

You just illustrated this admirably.

​>> ​​Why is what you expect to see tomorrow more important than what it turns out you actually see tomorrow?

​> ​Because it is the relation between those two things which is important,

​Expectations that turn out to be correct are important and valuable, expectations that turn out to be incorrect are the opposite of that, and if a expectation turns out to be neither correct nor incorrect then you were expecting gibberish.

Then all 1p talk is gibberish. The poor H-man and M-man have to be considered like zombies or elves.

You are denying for all your copies to claim they have survived. That looks like anti-computationalism for me. If you can't attribute them genuine consciousness to the point of deciding not to read their diaries, nor to even ask they what the feel and remember, why trust the simple teleportation case? You add some black magic in the duplication which by mechanism is just not there.

​> ​and not entirely obvious in a world with duplicating machine. Without duplication, we can ascribe one's mind to the body, but with the duplication, to evaluate what we can expect, such simple identity link is no more available

​Agreed.​

OK.

​>> ​An even more important question is ​ "What one and only one thing will "you" mean tomorrow​ if "you" is duplicated and "you" becomes two today?"

​>​It means "W-man or M-man" in Helsinki.

​Or? It's hard enough to predict what somebody will see tomorrow, ​but if you can't even say who's future viewing you want a prediction of ​then how am I suposed to do it?

I have a thought experiment of my own and this is the protocol:

1) I have TWO coins, a regular coin and a two headed coin.
2) I flip both coins.
3) Predict if the one and only coin will land heads or tails.

You can't predict it because of coin indeterminacy.

Hmm... let me think.

I think that I can't answer, because there is two coins landing on the table, so that the question is meaningless.

Is it too early to start writing my Nobel Prize acceptance speech?

I am very honored that you think the first person indeterminacy deserves the Nobel Prize, but the last Prize I got disappeared, and the promotion which was promised got transformed into widening defamation. So, well, no, thank you. I would get the Nobel Prize, even the far away galaxies would believe that I am crackpot writing gibberish.

Now, guess what is missing in your coin theorem? The coin 1p/3p distinction. Normal, you ignore the question.

You don't refute step 3. You just stop ... because who care what the H- guy could expect, his copies have nothing to say on the matter.

​> ​There is no paradox. It is trivial that with comp,

​You've been talking about "comp" for years but I still don't know what that is so I have no opinion on the above.​

Yes. I know. You have memory problem which is not helpful.

No problem: comp is my weak version of computationalism. It is the Church-Turing thesis (CT) + what I sum up by "yes doctor" or even YD, which is UDA step zero: the (theological) belief/assumption that we can survive after a digital physical reincarnation, or physical re- implementation. Comp = CT + YD. Write this on a post-it and put it on your computer. I suggest.

​> ​I can accept something like "death, or Saint-Peter, or Santa Klaus" from an opponent to Mechanism. If you believe Mechanism is false, you can in some sense expect anything.

​Any expectation can happen if you can't say who the expectation is about. ​

I can say it very well. You forget that you agreed that both are the original guy. Everybody knows that guy very well, and after the duplication, this will happen: for everybody's point of view, we can find the guy in two different places simultaneously. But from the personal view of both copies, they remember and live quite singular event that they were unable to predict, and which the question was all about.

​> ​But from a computationalist it is pure nonsense, not even laughable.

​It makes no difference if ​computationalism is true or false, ​if there is no question there can be no answer.​

It is just because you deny the answer of the copies. You don't care of the experience of the copies. I guess you see that it will lead to the reduction of physics to machine's biology/psychology/theology.

​> ​Please, you said that everything is predictable, so I ask you to make that statement more clear and precise by telling what is it that you write in the personal diary in Helsinki about what you expect to live.

​I've already told you that, after I have been duplicated and have become TWO the ONE and only ONE place I expect to be is Santa Clauses workshop, and that expectation will prove to be just as true as any other.

Then you deny that you survive duplication. When the H-man and the M- man will told us, "gosh, that damned crackpot was right, I see only one city, simply. You already tell us to not listen to them!

​> ​ confused again the 1p view with the 3p view

​Have you considered setting your mantra to music? It might make a catchy song.

You are the one repeating the invalid step, which consists in ignoring that the question concerns the first person experience, relatively to a third person protocol.

In this post you get even more precise on this. You deliberately ignores the copies' first person experiences, when the question asks precisely that.

You don't refute step 3, you just say in a weird infinitely convoluted way that you are not interested.

Step 4 is already much more interesting, as it asks if we should change the expectations when introducing delays in the reconstitution of the copies, on Mars and Europa (near Jupiter!) to avoid 3p local clues.