If IGUS or ETI exist elsewhere, I would argue that probably there are
scaling limits to the powers such beings are able to control. The universe
has matter in it, but it has an average density of 10^{-29}g/cm^3, and the
overwhelming percentage of matter in dense configurations is in stars that
are hot and hard to access. Even tearing up planets for materials is hard
and energy intensive. Interstellar gas by contrast if extremely diffuse. I
would argue there are simply scaling limits to the control or abilities of
intelligent beings.

LC