On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 9:19 AM Mark Buda <her...@acm.org> wrote:

*> Information is only processed in minds, not in physical systems,*

A brain is a physical system. Mind is what the brain does. I think our
fundamental disagreement is you think "Mark Buda" is a noun but I think
you're a adjective, you're the way atoms behave when they're organized in a
Markbudaian way.

* > unless you can show that minds are physical systems. *

Before I can do that I need to know just what you mean by that term.  A
racing car is a physical system, what a racing car does is go fast. Is
"fast" a physical system? It is certainly produced by one but whether it
itself is a physical system is a matter of philosophical interpretation of
no operational difference as far as I can see.

> > I believe minds are mathematical objects, as are physical systems,

Turing did more than prove the Halting Problem has no solution, with his
machine he also showed us exactly how the laws of physics could produce
arithmetic. However nobody has shown how arithmetic could produce the laws
of physics or even come close to doing so.

*> and that minds are a particular kind of mathematical object.*

Then why is it that if I change the physical object that is your brain your
mind changes and when you change your mind your brain changes? The function
F(x)=x^2 is a mathematical object and it remains the same regardless of
what I do to your brain, but your mind doesn't.

> * > I strongly suspect that the particular kind of mathematical object
> that minds are is called a lawless choice sequence.*

The lawless choice sequence was invented by the mathematician L.E.J.
Brouwer and he was also the founder of intuitionism, a philosophy of
mathematics that says mathematics is not fundamental is just the product of
the human mind. I don't know that I'd go as far as Brouwer because I think
ET of a AI or any mind would eventually come us with something similar to
our mathematics, but only because mathematics is the best language to use
when describing how the laws of physics work.

John K Clark