On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 8:36:17 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> *> Alan Turing used his material brain, yes, but that has nothing to do
>> with the fact that he gave a definition of computation* [...]
>>

> Definitions be damned! Alan Turing did not become famous because he made a
> definition, anybody can do that.  Alan Turing became famous by showing
> how the laws of physics can produce arithmetic, and not even all the laws
> are required, just the laws of classical mechanics are sufficient.  And
> meanwhile nobody has shown how arithmetic could produce the laws of physics
> or even just mechanics.

I was thinking of how today's Theorem Provers (or Proof Assistants)  - like
Coq - are *the new universal machines* (in the legacy of Turing). And today
there is a focus on Modal Logics (like *GL* and *GLS* - for Gödel, Löb,
Solovay)

This topic has been in tech news in recent years:

*Automating Godel’s Ontological Proof of God’s Existence with Higher-order
Automated Theorem Provers*
- http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/cbenzmueller/papers/C40.pdf

- pt