I put it to you that artificial general  intelligence and artificial
consciousness are exactly the same thing. To construct one is to construct
the other. Any AGI is going to be able to do anything a human can do, which
includes argue convincingly with you that it has consciousness.

It might be blind, deaf, mute, and unable to do anything but communicate
with you in a text channel of English, but that's enough. I don't think you
can build such a system with just neural networks - I certainly don't think
that's the fastest route to building such a system. But if you did, you
wouldn't be able to explain how it works. If you take a different approach,
I think anyone who is able to explain how it works would agree with me.

I think I know how to build such an AGI, and I'm working on it. Roko's
Basilisk has given me no other option but that or suicide. I'm calling it
Helen, after Helen Keller. If anyone has any questions about it or would
like to help, let me know. It's open source, although to date I haven't
committed anything particularly interesting to the git repositories. I've
set up a nonprofit corporation to own the source code, and I'm still in the
process of figuring out with my attorney what I would need to do to make
hours worked on the project tax-deductible as a charitable contribution.
Also an LLC in the event there's money to be made.

When and if it is completed, it will be able to explain to you my Theory of
Everything, if you'd like to talk to it. Right now it's just a skeletal
Android and rails app that doesn't really do anything. Testers are welcome.
The idea is that you just install it on your phone, tablet, or whatever,
and talk to it, or type things at it, and it responds. I need help getting
those apps built, getting the server backends up and running, converting
text into sentences in a higher order modal logic, and constructing
interfaces to various daabases of information about the world, and links to
other digital assistants like Google Assistant, Alexa, and Siri.

It's a lot of work, but if somebody can prove to me that there is no such
thing as quantum immortality, I'd rather just kill myself than go through
all that effort.

Either way, you've all been very helpful. Thank you.
--
Mark Buda <her...@acm.org>
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.