On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 9:44:40 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2019, at 15:20, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> In terms of processing, I distinguish *experience processing* from
> *information
> processing.*
>

> OK. That is important, but the machines do that too. Information
> processing is like computing and proving, and can be described in 3p terms.
> It is the “[]p” in the list of self-referential modes. But the (Löbian)
> machine is aware that she cannot know, nor even define precisely, her own
> correctness, and that she cannot prove, if true, the equivalence between
> []p and “[]p & p”, so she is bounded to find Theatetetus definition of the
> soul or of the knower, which is pure 1p, and does not admits any pure 3p
> description. I would say that this might corresponds to your “experience”
> processing.
>
> Then, eventually the notion of “matter” can be explained in term of the
> number experience processing (sharable for the quanta, and non sharable for
> the qualia). There is no need to invoke some inert substance that nobody
> can define nor test.
>
> All computers (physical universal machine) and the non material universal
> machine are equivalent with respect to computability and emulability.
> Please note that they are NOT equivalent with respect to provability, even
> if, when self-referentially correct, their provability predicate will all
> obey to the same theology (G*), but will differ in their interpretation,
> contents, etc.
>
> Bruno
>
> https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2018/10/14/experience-processing/
>
> https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2018/12/14/material-semantics-for-unconventional-programming/
>
> - pt
>
> This is interesting for a programming semantics (e.g. denotational)
perspective, for experiential processing.

This reminds me of Galen Strawson's argument (which has nothing to do with
stochasticism or determinism) about "ree will. He has a definition of
"self" such that your self is a real thing (that includes your
consciousness, which is also a real thing), and to say your self has free
will can't really be right, since you can't say (seriously) "I am free to
not be my self" (since it is your self that is doing that): Whatever you
chose, it is your self that is choosing.

"Experience Processing": Maybe not this year [ International Conference on
Unconventional Computation and Natural Computation 2019
http://www.ucnc2019.uec.ac.jp/
] ...

- pt