> On 16 May 2019, at 03:36, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 5/15/2019 11:18 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 13 May 2019, at 21:28, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
>>> <everything-list@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>
>> OK. I agree too, with Jason. (I have not written the text above, but it
>> makes sense).
>>

>>> So how do you know it wouldn't do it without conscious perception at all,
>>> i.e. alter it to nothing?  And in fact isn't that what learning the
>>> multiplication table does, it eliminates computation for single digit
>>> numbers.  So that's the point of my question.  What do "functional
>>> equivalence" really mean.
>>
>> Good question. I would avoid functional equivalence at this level. The
>> “computational equivalence” is conceptually simpler, although provably
>> highly not constructive: two computation are equivalent if the first person
>> experience is the same.
>
> But the first person experience is by definition only experienced by one
> person, so there can never be a judgement the two different first person
> experiences are the same.

That is true for different persons, but anyone can decide he has survived,
assuming computationalism. No body can prove that he has survived, and that is
why Mechanism is a theology, a belief in a non communicable form of
technological reincarnation.

The real trouble is that many will say yes to the doctor just because they have
a uncle who has a job on Mars, and use classical teleportation everyday,
without any problem. But that is not a proof of course, but it is an evidences
that some will accept and other not.

>> By definition of the substitution level, all computations “below” that level
>> are equivalent, and the consciousness flux will be multiplied by the
>> consistent extensions differentiating “continuously”, with the topology
>> given by the semantics of the relevant modes of self (in this case []p & <>t
>> & p).
>>

>>> Does it just mean "no noticeable difference in behavior", i.e. third person
>>> equivalence?
>>

>> Usually “functional equivalence” is an extensional 3p notion in computer
>> science, and then you have a zoo of syntactical weaker equivalence. I said
>> two words about this in the combinators thread. Pure functional equivalence
>> is equal to having the same input output,
>
> Input and output depend on some well defined boundary between the parts of
> the computation.  A condition I think is lacking in this case.

?

The input is what is provided by the sense organs, or by some oracle. Yes the
delineation is unclear, but completely specified by the digitalise surgeon, and
again, we have to trust him or pray. The computationalist practice requires
faith.

>> even if one is run by a quantum computer using a quantum algorithm and the
>> other is run by a Babbage machine. But with mention to the level of
>> substitution, computational equivalence requires not only to compute the
>> right local function, but also the way that function is computed (above the
>> substitution level). Now, when you have that right loop in place, it will
>> not matter if you compute it in this or that way, in a physical reality, or
>> in the arithmetical reality, or in the fortranical reality, or in a (rich)
>> combinatory algebra, etc.
>>

>>>   But then it seems the theory talks about "preserving consciousness", a
>>> first-person...what? perception that I'm me?  What perception could you
>>> have that told you your consciousness had changed or been lost?
>>
>> It is the difference between going out of the hospital, feeling alive and
>> well, or dying (whatever that means for the 1p). Of course, in “reality” you
>> will have intermediate, like feeling alive, but not so well, …, needing many
>> post arraignment, discovering new consciousness state pleasant or
>> unpleasant, etc.
>
> No.  That doesn't work because the feeling is the computation.

It is a category error to identify a feeling (which is 1p) with a computation
(which is arithmetical 3p, or physical 1p plural).

> There isn't some separate feeling of the computation.

There is a p feeling associate to all computations, and obeying o the logic of
some self-modes.

>> Accident happens, like the guy who said, when asked if he was happy with his
>> artificial brain: “- I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic  I am completely happy with my …tclic  I am completely
>> happy with my …tclic (cf Britannia Hospital).
>
> All third person, observable behavior.  Can you prove he's not completely
> happy?

Of course, I can’t prove that. Nor can I prove that you would not be completely
happy if I replace your brain with grass. But I doubt you would use the cheap
teleportation device which transforms you body into grass or spaghetti.

>> Please note that the provable ethic of mechanism consists in the right to
>> say “no” to the doctor, at least for adults.
>
> An interesting qualification!  Do you think children are not conscious?

I think that children are conscious, even more so than adult, but in our
society, little children are not morally responsible, and that is why some dies
because their parents does not trust this or that aspect of medicine.
I don’t defend this, but that is the case today, and it is hard to solve that
problem.

Bruno