On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 10:32:22 AM UTC+1 telmo wrote:

> Am Do, 10. Dez 2020, um 20:48, schrieb PGC:
>

> On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 4:14:42 PM UTC+1 telmo wrote:
>

> Mindey asked a very interesting question, and I've been thinking about it
> while following the discussion. I don't have a good answer, but I might
> have a good question. I propose another take: the discussion so far has
> been in terms of quanta, but what if we reframed it in terms of qualia?
>
> Imagine the "universe" in terms of the set of all first-person experience
> moments of all of its inhabitants. Is there a limit to novelty here? Or can
> qualia also display unbounded complexity?
>

> No serious philosopher/linguist I know of argues for a bound there in
> principle. At least not in my modest reading of antique treatments, and
> neither more recently in Baumgarten, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Valéry,
> Heidegger, Adorno, and contemporary thinkers. I wouldn't think Bruno does
> either with []p & <>t & p.
>

> It did not occur me to ask linguists, but fair enough. I would say that
> there is a correspondence between language and qualia, but that is a deep
> rabbit hole. Language clearly has boundless complexity, but this does not
> convince me that the qualia it points to also do. We can easily fall into
> Borat's "and is this cheese?" scenarios.

The why is of interest here: that Borat cheese clip illustrated how an
extreme form of whataboutism was effective, that remains pertinent given
how social media provides everyone a platform to distribute information and
form what are effectively "news" networks accordingly; often falling prey
to the rhetorical act of constantly raising another issue and/or tweet.
Assuming that the store owner was not stupid, this prompts us to ask why he
would comply? It is reasonable to bet that Borat's publicist/agent reaching
out to the store and offering them coverage, in addition to the presence of
a professional camera crew, and Borat's foreign
appearance/accent/mannerisms sufficed in staging enough legitimacy for the
store manager to accord him practically infinite permission to continue to
raise another issue.

The extreme flavor of this here, was that Borat didn't even have to change
the issue. It sufficed for him to pick up another bag of cheese, which was
enough to elicit consideration and response, as the store manager felt
compelled to continue providing him the floor to pose a question even after
a hundred repetitions.That would be a linguistically oriented aesthetic
appraisal, where we are less concerned about general or consistent states
of affairs, and more concerned about what makes an experience or its
product particular and special. If Chomsky wrote about manufacturing
consent, the digital age begs the question of manufacturing legitimacy
across screens. The ubiquitousness of which may drive folks towards "this
is also fabricated".

Re your qualia concern: what is the upper bound to literature that writers
produce (fiction and/or scientific)? What would be the absolute boundary of
the literary imagination? Sure, it cannot replace experience itself or
acquire scientific insights by force, but it is its own kind of experience
with the potential of inspiring scientific advances, and can indeed loose
or find itself principally describing all possible experience.

> And moving from sensation to aesthetic sensation, or sets of sensations
> pursued as ends in themselves, subjectivity liberates the richness of
> reality (or Bruno's "p" if you want) to be experienced as a pleasurable
> confirmation of its broad and limitless accessibility to us. We pursue that
> unbounded complexity.
>

> Yes, but what if "richness of reality" is just a qualia without much
> diversity?

The subject's aesthetic awareness would seem confined by virtue of either
suffering or believing such a proposition for some reason. Without the
ability for openness and awareness towards novelty/uncertainty, people will
tend to confuse even the high probability pleasurable future experiences as
a danger to their control due to their inherent uncertainty; mostly
forgetting that their sense of control is manufactured or, to use Brent's
term, "fabricated" by themselves and their usual interactions with the
world in the first place. The known miseries being preferable to the
unknown potentials for not misery.

Hopefully we are able to get some control over the pandemic. Then, the next
aesthetic chapters for yours truly would be skydiving and learning how to
fly airplanes, gliders, anything I can afford. Of course, there is anxiety
of making a mistake, lol. Yet, jumping out of an airplane and learning how
to fly it, seem to be rich prospects for diversity in what yours truly
considers to be real. And there will always be a next thing. personally,
the list is huge. There's even sense in saving some of the unexecuted
unknown experiences with a high probability of pleasurable content for
later points in life, and stating "I'll want to remain naive on that until
I run low on inspiration fuel lest I be trapped in fooling myself of having
control/stability". There's always another dish, book, experience, etc. PGC