On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 8:02 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 3:31 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *  If the universe started out in some definite state and it evolved
>>> deterministically then that it produced humans who did certain things is no
>>> more remarkable than if had produced Martians who did something different. *
>>>

> No, it's saying that whenever humans did an experiment in physics and
> changed something in a way they thought was random and concluded from the
> experiment that the universe was random and non-local they were actually
> being fooled because what they thought was random was not random at all,
>  instead it was a part of a grand conspiracy that started 13.8 billion
> years ago from a very very specific initial state that resulted in humans
> always being fooled no matter how many times they repeated such
> experiments. The only reason somebody would concoct such a ridiculous
> theory is that for whatever reason they just didn't like the Many Worlds
> idea and were desperate to do something, anything, to avoid it

It is not Many Worlds that Hossenfelder rejects. It is, rather, the idea of
non-locality. Her rejection of the implications of Bell's theorem for the
possibility of a local explanation of the Bell-type correlations is based
on a rejection of the idea of 'statistical independence'. In other words,
she wants to allow the distribution of hidden variables to depend on the
settings of both remote detectors, whereas locality would rule this out.
Since MWI does not violate 'statistical independence', either, MWI does not
provide a solution that Hossenfelder would accept.

My main criticism of superdeterminism as Hossenfelder presents it, is that
she does not give a mechanism whereby statistical independence is
violated -- she does not explain how particular hidden variables that
depend on both settings of the final measurement instruments could actually
determine the outcome of the correlation experiments. The main point is
that for non-aligned polarizers, the measurement outcomes are not
deterministic but, rather, probabilistic. In order for these probabilities
to determine the observed correlations, there must be correlations (or
dependence) between repeats of the measurements. Hossenfelder does not give
any account of the necessary non-locality over time.

In other words, her mathematical point, while valid, does not translate
into a physical theory.

Bruce