Exactly, well put.   Whenever someone asks me for help with a cat or kitten
saying otherwise they'll have to take them to a AS/AC, I tell them that if
they care about the cat at all they should take it to the vet to be put down
themselves rather than subject them to such a fearful, cold end....people so
often prefer to spare themselves pain at the expense of the animal.