Laurie,

I can appreciate your post. There are studies that say that vaccination helps the FELV kitty and others that say just the opposite. I have found that vaccination of positive cats decreases their survivability in the immediate situation. (Who knows what long term figures are for asymptomatic kitties). We'll have to wait another 10 yrs to get the real results with double blind studies. They are wonderful animals. They thrive and survive despite our best efforts in many cases. We need to send a blessing to all on this list that help every day and try to take the best care possible of these immunocompromised souls. I just do what I have found to be successful over the last 10 years or so.

Karen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurieskatz" <lauriesk...@mchsi.com>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Intro

The odd thing is I didn't do anything special because I had no idea what
this diagnosis meant at that time! I even had them vaccinated for feline
leukemia every year (makes me wonder about the vet!). Stripes was treated
with antibiotics every time he got sick. He nearly died from an injection
the vet gave him once (he couldn't walk after) but he rallied. Mostly I
loved them and provided a mostly stress free environment. I fed them Natural
Choice and later Science Diet CD to Squeaky. They even ate Meow Mix and
canned Friskies before I knew NOT to feed MM. The vet thought Squeaky was a
"carrier" and carried the virus in his bone marrow. When I considered a
companion for Squeaky after Stripes died, the vet never told me of any risk
for a new kitty....
Not sure if this is any help at all other than to say that some kitties do
well no matter what we do!
Laurie