hmmm, i'd say from future splash days flash was doing something that html
could not deliver. it still does in a lot of ways but it's always a plugin.
adobe could have done a google a while back and made a browser but that
boat has sailed a long time ago. flash is still way better than any flavour
of JS at working the same across all browsers and platforms and it'll be a
few years still before html5 is as stable for anything vaguely complicated.
when that time comes there'll be a bunch of different avant-garde features
all treated differently by different browsers and platforms just as today.

AIR will never be as good as native, it's a wrapper for a runtime. it'll do
the job for all sorts of reasons but the people pushing the envelope on
devices won't be actionscript developers. that wasn't the case with the web
up until a few years ago.

i'm learning haxe more and more, and using it more and more in my day to
day work for backend and clients in JS and flash. it also compiles to
native code for windows phone, andriod and iOS. if i was going to put money
on actionscript living on it'd be in the form of haxe, which is already a
big improvement on AS3 but essentially feels a lot like the same thing.