From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: March 13, 2002 9:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PROPOSAL] FOP+iText = FOP-NG -next generation- (was: merging
two libraries)

Given what has been said on the mailing lists of FOP and iText, and
given
the current scope of the two projects, I feel reasonably sure that this
could be a proposal accepted by bot communities.

 FOP uses iText as a PDF generation library

This could have greater benefits than a merger and keep intact the
strenghts
that these two projects have (remember AOL+Time Warner? is the result we
want?).

iText could continue to be an excellent PDF (and RTF AFAIK) generation
package with a good java API.
FOP could concentrate on FO2AreaTree and use iText as the last step.

Given the licences, nobody is prohibited to cross-collaborate. iText
developers can send patches to FOP and viceversa, and be [VOTE]d as
usual
when the time is right.
FOP can distribute iText jar as it's MPL, and both projects would
cross-link
in a clear way.

AFAIK iText is already able to produce PDF using an XML file. If FOP
could
make a transformation step from FO to this format, we could get this up
running in a short time.
And IText can also output to html, which is not bad at all.

What do you think?
Shall we pull this off?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -