---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Wilson <mt.kine...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Towards 2.2
To: Marko Lindqvist <cazf...@gmail.com>

> > Users, however, seem to think that S2_1 border system was better than
> >current http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=6033 Even the way
> >newly founded cities did not 'steal' borders is considered good thing
> >in S2_1.

As a user, I want to say that I like the new border system for the most
part. What I don't like about it is that the borders seem to grow too fast
into unclaimed territory (especially evident on scenario maps) and that
territory is taken away too easily, especially the territory that the city
uses.  Maybe new cities shouldn't take away any territory within the city
radius, but still be free to take territory that is out of the radius. I
think that it is a very good thing if you can count on your border city to
hold its territory at least within the workable city radius, if not (as was
the last time I played a 2.1.99 game) you can wreak havoc by building a city
as right next to border if that border is also near the city radius.

But I think the main problem people have with it is that in the 2.1 system
the borders were too static, and didn't change once two borders met. Whereas
the 2.2 system is the opposite of that, and being not static enough, to the
point where you can't count on your borders being the same.

I would not like to see the 2.2 system reverted into something more like
2.1. I think that the borders in 2.2 should stay how they are, except that
they are given more strength to stay under someone's control. Maybe using
the proximity to a city, the cities size, and how long the border has been
there. The new city should be able to take some territory that is unused
(outside city radius), but not if it is too close, too old, etc...And maybe
once the new city overcomes those limits, it could take the territory (like
a size 8 city that has had its border out 10 tiles for 50 turns, a size 1
city should not take half of that territory if it builds the city on the
border, but 50 turns later, when the first city is still size 8 and the
second one is size 18, the second one shouldn't still be right against the
border.) The more predictable this system is, the better, IMHO.

I particularly like the 'borders expand into unknown' and 'vision inside
borders' options, as well as the expanding and contracting borders, but I
think that they simply change too easily.

But I'm no developer, and don't really understand how the system really
works, just giving my opinion...